Tuesday 6 January 2015

HOPE...FUL

Let me start by saying, Happy new year- not in a cliché kind of way, but truly wishing you a year full of joy and happiness. Some of you have written me asking what happened to the African girls’ reflections last month, and I must admit I was hoping no one would notice the inconsistency on that one. Haha. 
Well truth be told, I made a feeble attempt at writing and was somewhat not in the right head and heart space. You see, I made a promise to God and myself that I would always write from a genuine place, and never out of routine, or expectations set before me.  


Christmas has always been my favorite time of the year, followed closely by Easter.  I love everything about it; from the music, to the trees and lights...I loved the snow when I lived in Canada...the sales and great discounts...there is something very magical about it. But more importantly is what Christmas signifies for all believers. Though it is debatable what day Jesus was born, we get to celebrate his birth during this season...a little babe born in a manger, who later on became our redeemer and cornerstone of our faith.

But this year Christmas was different for me. I felt an overwhelming sadness. On Christmas morning I remember helping out with preparations for the day, and in the process had a serious meltdown.  It had been a culmination of many things I was feeling gearing up to that day. My father loved Christmas. He always had something special planned, and even after we had long moved out of his nest he made sure to remind us how important and significant that day was. I knew without fail that he would call me on Christmas day and with his loud booming voice, say, “Merry Christmas Kasuni”! I felt as though Christmas day 2014 was a reminder of what I lost last year.  And because it was too cheery a season, I thought not to dampen your moods, but instead hold out and get to talk to you in the new year, so here I am :)

Incidentally on the same day, a friend of mine shared with me a post written by G. Cordinton, and I am convinced that those words were meant for me. (OK and perhaps  you as well).  Allow me to share an excerpt from what he wrote. “...We experience pain because we miss the vibrancy of the person who is not there, and what we feel is another emotion that honors their life...Christmas is not a fake, superficial happiness. It knows deep sorrow. It understands grief and separation. It endures pain. It reminds us that our Savior not only came to save, but He also came to share our human experience and show us there IS hope”.

Oh what peace I found from reading those words! My Savior, the one that I was trying so hard to celebrate and put on a brave face for, understands my sorrow and in him I find rest for my soul, and hope for tomorrow.  There is no guarantee that Christmas will not always remind me of dad...I just hope that when it does, I will also be reminded that in Christ my eternal hope is found.


Photography by Paul (Emms studio)
MakeUp by Njanja
When the year 2014 began I was very excited. I remember sitting by the window watching snowfall, somewhere in Maryland. I was hopeful about the year ahead. I wrote down my resolutions and recommitted my heart to God.  But I did not have the slightest premonition of the tornado that was about to hit my family. I did not lose my faith in God, but I admittedly felt a great sense of loss and disappointment. 
When this year, 2015 began, I felt very indifferent about many things. I thought to myself that if I did not have any expectations then I would not be disappointed by anything that went wrong. But over the last few days God has been dealing with my heart (even though I did not ask Him to) LOL. He chastens whom He loves.  Beloved, I know now without a doubt that God uses our deepest pain, fear, and disappointments as a launching pad for our greatest calling.

I have spent a lot of time by myself lately, not because I am lonely, but because I know God needed me to be at a place of quiet in order to hear what he wants me to do. I still do not have a list of resolutions- I will work on those and maybe share some with you as the year unfolds. But I have great expectations. The Word of God says that hope does not disappoint. It does not put us to shame. Therefore I will not live in fear of failure or loss. I choose to put my trust in the God of all hope.

I know this has been a long one, and thank you for staying with me to the end.  As I finish, allow me to say this. That we find healing for our hearts when we give of ourselves to others. Some of you reading this may be able to relate to my pain in one way or the other, but hear me say this: do not allow yourself to get absorbed in your pain. Look around you...there is always someone in need of love...a hug...a smile...a hundred bob...food...a listening ear...a shoulder to lean on...love on others, and before you know it, you will begin to find healing in your broken places.

I pray that you have a most amazing year ahead. May you thrive and excel in whatever you set out to do! I will be here, writing you, cheering you on and praying for you. Beloved, you are blessed. Exceedingly and abundantly so!

From my heart to yours,

Kambua M.




P/S: I’ll be changing things up a little on my blog this year. You need to look out for that ;-) #MwakaMpya na #MamboMapya!

28 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I like that God is straightforward and has simplicity and because of this we can can call Him even when we feel abandoned by Him , at those moments like Jesus at the cross where our hearts cry out in pain "my God ,my God why have You forsaken me?" ...........i have also had a painful crossover.....loss and this post has been a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God bless and strengthen you dear Ciiru. It is well. May you smile again!

      Delete
  2. Kambua my friend,my sis and confidant I bless the lord for you, you encourage me so much in your blogs God has choosen you to encourage this generation,reading this blog I remembered your song Again,you are destined for greatness.i pray you have a great year ahead.love you and miss you nglolo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, you are destined for greatness too my dear! Love you! k

      Delete
  3. Hi K,

    This reminds me of Christmas 2009.
    My mama had passed on in June that year.
    As usual, my siblings and I went home to visit my dad and sleep over for a couple of days.

    I remember the overwhelming sense of emptiness that nobody dared mention out aloud.

    I remember the sense of anxiety ... each one was secretly afraid to face a Christmas in a home without my mother. She had always done her best to make our house the warmest most welcoming place to be for ourselves, our spouses and our children.

    I remember my eldest brother's dark black mood through out the season.
    We all knew why and could understand his darkened demeanor but nobody could even dare approach him with a comforting word or light joke.

    I remember crying privately soon after I got home as the reality that my mum was gone from this earth forever hit me all over again.
    I am certain I was not the only one hiding somewhere in a corner crying alone.

    I remember the cloud of gloom that hovered low over the compound that whole season.

    Christmas 2009 was a dreadfully sad affair for our family.

    Fast forward to Christmas 2015.
    The same miserable group from five years earlier, plus the new family members (two new spouses and two grandchildren) had a picnic by the lakeside, went boating, relaxed, bonded and prayed together.

    It was so wonderful.
    We were so happy.
    We felt so blessed.

    The emptiness, the anxiety, the dark black moods, the tears, the gloom and the grief of yesteryears all forgotten.

    We remembered mum, we missed her presence dearly, we thought of her and celebrated her memory.

    I remember feeling an overwhelming sense of gratitude to God because as a family, we had no major issues/challenges.

    When the only problems you are dealing with are those that can be solved with money, count yourself fortunate because once you have the money, you can make the problem go away.

    Dear K, take it from me.
    One day, not too far off, Christmas will regain its spark .......
    You will find yourself laughing from the bottom of your heart and dancing with everything in you.

    In the meantime, SHALOM child of God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was so so meaningful to me. Thank you for being so honest and sharing your pain with me. I find hope...I know God will make it alright. Thank you again! Love,k

      Delete
  4. I always look forward and enjoy reading from you month on month but i must admit that this blog in particular has sparked something in me..thanks for allowing God todeal with you so that through you, He may deal with me also. I love you girlie and pray that this will be an outstanding year for u and that God's peace will abound. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember a song I learned years ago, "It only takes a spark to get a fire going..." I pray that God will ignite a fire of hope in you. Blessings dear! k

      Delete
  5. Amen, I so believe am blessed beyond measure and reasoning. I glad and privileged to be nourished by God through your 'heart to mine' writings. Even though my year has begun with so many uncertainties, I do believe such are what makes faith our stronghold in God and more so beautify life. Pray with me that the rough edges in my life will be smoothed and a deep passion for God be rekindled through the process. Happy New Year Kambua and be strong for your strength strengthens many particularly me, God's blessing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert, from your lips to God's ears...may every crooked path be made straight in the matchless name of our God. Blessings! k

      Delete
  6. Thanks Kambua for sharing. There is so much power in sharing... sometimes we think we are the only ones who have been through issues until we met people who have gone through a similar experience and have overcome. I find solace in knowing I will overcome too and one day I will have the courage to share my story and encourage someone as well.

    God bless you servant of God and may you have a fruitful 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you will Elizabeth...may you find renewed strength every day. You are victorious child of God!

      Delete
  7. Thank you Kambua, May God richly bless you and prosper you to your desired heights. Happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! am truly blessed, Thanks for sharing. I also don't have resolutions but am hopeful and encouraged that this will be a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year Kelitu. You are a blessing, continue blessing us through your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a happy new year to you! Blessings dear Tabbytha.

      Delete
  10. This is a beautiful honest piece.
    Jesus is on the throne and he really has you in mind :-)
    Hugs.xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy new year Kambua!for sure i missed reading last months blog .u r a blessing to many,Gods voice to us.be blessed more to bless us more.am touched

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy new year...What an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful pieces you have here! Be blessed as you continue to be a blessing to others. Theme vision: The Year of the Lord's Unlimited Favour. Happy New Year 🎈🎉🎊 p.s. You can think of your resolutions as goals of the year. It will be such a happy feeling when you tick them off one by one.😁

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New year, to greater things ahead ..bless!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "God uses our deepest pain, fear, and disappointments as a launching pad for our greatest calling" Wow!!
    Thanks Kambua.. Happy new year and God bless u

    ReplyDelete
  16. http://youthdollar.com/?cashlink=64997

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi K.

    I have been reading your posts for the past two days and I have to say they've been uplifting. My life story is I got saved when I was young and throughout high sch I didn't like the Christians I felt they were hypocrites. Always judging people, gossiping others, spreading rumors and all kinds of scrappy stuff.

    Anyway I left high sch and I lived in the world literally, drank, smoked, did all kinds of things without my mother knowing. My new year resolutions were always the same I want to be close to God but how I lived it wasn't going to happen. Then I came to a place where I was like I can't go on like this something had to give. Then your posts made me realize she's just like me she struggles like I do.

    I decided It had to he different from now on. If my friends didn't like who I was becoming then hiyo night shauri yao. I want to know the things that make God's heart bleed. I want to be different, I'm tired of living the same mediocre life.

    So thank you for writing.

    ReplyDelete

If you were encouraged by this article, kindly consider sharing it!